Sunday, 21 October 2012
Outgoing Prattville city councilmen reflect on years of service
Do you like this story?
PRATTVILLE — This past week saw the final meeting of three outgoing Prattville city councilmen, who will wrap up a total of 36 years of service when this administration ends Nov. 5.
President Mike Renegar, who also represents District 5, is serving his fourth term. District 4 Councilman Tom Miller is on his third, and District 7 Councilman Nathan Fank is in his second term. Miller didn?t seek re-election; Renegar and Fank were not re-elected.
Along with time in office, there?s a good deal of leadership leaving the board. Renegar serves as president, and has been president pro-tem in the past; Miller is a past president and pro-tem, while Fank is current pro-tem.
During the Oct. 16 council meeting, Mayor Bill Gillespie Jr. took a moment to say his official goodbyes. He presented each outgoing councilman with several mementos representing their leadership roles, including a plaque embellished with a gavel.
?They are all friends and colleagues,? Gillepsie said. ?There were times when we agreed and times when we disagreed, but we worked to move Prattville forward.
?Nathan and I came on the council at the same time and we were referred to as the bookends because we sat on opposite ends of the dais.
?Mike and Tom had more experience, so they served as mentors, as well as fellow councilmen. I?ll miss them. I hope that just because their terms in office are up, they won?t stop serving their city. They all still have a great deal to offer Prattville.?
The trio?s time in office has been filled with both highs and lows. Prattville has been listed in the top five of the fastest-growing cities in the state for the last two years. But in that time, the city also has struggled with budget woes.
But even the most pessimistic observer would have to agree this situation is improving.
?I wouldn?t change a thing,? Renegar said recently. ?We made all those decisions with the best available information at the time. I think overall, the administrations I have been honored to be a part of have done great things for Prattville.
?It took a lot of hard work ? the part of many people ? and there were tough choices to be made. I am privileged to have played a small role in what went on.?
Fank agrees.
?It?s easy to govern from the seats in the gallery,? he said. ?It?s more difficult when you are one of the ones who have to make the decisions. I love Prattville, we have the best residents and city employees in Alabama.
?Serving on the council has made me a better person. When it?s all over with, the only thing you can do is hope you were able to make things better. I can honestly say I believe we were able to accomplish that.?
Miller said deciding to step down was hard, but over time he has come to realize he made the right move. He has some advice for the new members coming on board next month.
?It?s easy to get bogged down on personalities and agendas,? he said. ?I would tell the incoming council members not to just automatically dismiss what people are saying when they disagree with you. Take different positions and outlooks into account.
?Then you vote your conscience. You can hold your head up when you do that.?
View the original article here

This post was written by: Franklin Manuel
Franklin Manuel is a professional blogger, web designer and front end web developer. Follow him on Twitter
0 Responses to “Outgoing Prattville city councilmen reflect on years of service”
Post a Comment